September 29, 2016

Movie Reviews: 2016



If you know me or have read this blog for a while, you'll know that I am a movie buff. Yes, I love  going to movies, the adventure of getting out, fresh warm popcorn, finding our favourite seats, always the ones with the footrest! Or I just love being at home, cozied up with a blanket, and choosing some new-to-me adventure right in my own living room. 

It's been a while since I've done any movie reviews (see the new Reviews tab above), so here is my take on the movies I've seen in 2016 so far and a few of the upcoming films I am excited to see.  

 

 

Family Movies:



Finding Dory

Best sequel I've seen in a long time. Excellent new characters, great backstory for Dory, funny jokes for the adults and lots of action. Loved the whales, the "sept"-apus and the sea lions! (Watch until mid-credits!) And gosh but isn't young Dory just the cutest creature ever!?!


The Jungle Book 

Beautiful movie, amazing effects, great acting by newcomer, Neel Sethi who plays Mowgli. Loved the voice acting from Bill Murray, Christopher Walken, and Scarlett Johansson to name a few.  


Zootopia 

Awesome movie for adults and kids. I took my 6 year old nephews and the scariest/jumpy bits (of animals acting like wild animals) weren't too bad for them. Amazing world, love reading all the little background city signs etc. Great story.

The Secret Life of Pets 

Okay animated movie. Again, my nephews enjoyed it and the scene that they kept talking about after was the crazy snake scene. Loved the bunny!


My Favourites:

Star Trek Beyond 

Good premise but similar to the new Star Wars...orphaned girl, mechanic, seeks help of people who crash landed...Good villain, interesting scenes with the "swarming" enemy ships. Best moment includes a favourite piece of Beastie Boyz music! Also really liked the new Starbase Yorktown and the gravity-defying scenes.

Deadpool

Totally brutal, harsh and violent...but also totally AWESOME! (#sorrynotsorry!) Ryan Reynolds is one of my favourite actors and he delivers a brilliantly creative and sarcastic role. I love how they poke fun at their own movie as well and the X-Men franchise.


X-Men: Apocalypse 

Good but not perfect as far as X-Men movies go. Some decent backstory for all of the main characters and we are introduced to a few new ones. There were a few eye-rolling moments from me when certain characters seem to get away without injury from extremely dangerous situations or explosions. I am also not a huge fan of movies that seem to use CG effects to totally demolish entire cities and innocent people on a grand scale just for dramatic effect. Loved seeing my favourites Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, and Evan Peters! Quicksilver is the best!!


Jason Bourne 

I'm a huge fan of all the Bourne movies and enjoyed this latest chapter in Jason's saga. I'm glad they included Julia Stiles' character, Nicky Parsons, and I thought newcomer to the Bourne family, Alicia Vikander, worked well as an adversary/ally for Jason. 


Fun and Interesting:

  • Bad Moms - You will laugh...a lot! Kristen Bell and Kathryn Hahn steal the show!
  • Mother's Day - Heartwarming, sweet, funny, ridiculous at times, but fun.
  • Love & Freindship - Based on a Jane Austen story about Lady Susan trying to find a husband for her daughter but taking one for herself instead. Of course I love Austen books and films but this one felt a little off since I didn't really like the main character. I did love all the intrigue around Lady Susan's manipulations but I also just love this era of society.
  • War Dogs - Interesting, eye-opening that it's based on a real story. You don't really realize the crazy deals the US Government makes to supply it's forces and how two young guys could get into such a mess just trying to make some money from those opportunities.
  • Snowden - You'll go home and cover your computers web-cam! A good look inside one of the biggest US security leaks...but you wonder if you really wanted to know what Snowden wanted us all to know. Is the cost of security really giving away our rights and privacy? A deep thinking movie.

Don't Bother:

  • Hail, Caesar! - Bleh! I should've known I wouldn't like this movie full of convoluted, over-the-top, Hollywood silliness. Josh Brolin was the only redeeming actor and the only amusing scene was seeing Channing Tatum tap dance with a room full of sailors.
  • The Legend of Tarzan - Action, CG, vine-swinging... and a pretty Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd. Not much else. 
  • How to be Single - While I usually enjoy Rebel Wilson's comedy, in this she was a hint away from annoying and Dakota Johnson's character just made me plain sad. Don't see this movie if you are actually single.
  • The Divergent Series: Allegiant - I liked the first two books in this series but hated the third, upon which this movie is based. And it certainly translated as such on screen. Apparently the Part 2 of this movie isn't even going to theatres. Awww shucks.
  • The Boss - A fun spin on Beverly Hills Troop, but Melissa McCarthy is not at all likeable. The only redeemable person is Kristen Bell's character. She's the best!
  • Suicide Squad - Awesome costumes, great characters, a good idea BUT....no/bad/silly/confusing plot or story line. Bad all around.
  • The Light Between Oceans - Emotional, yes, interesting, yes, but utterly predictable and not at all satisfying. 
 

Movies I'm excited to see:

  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - YES!! I can't wait for these new characters mixed with a few familiar faces to tell us more of the Star Wars story!
  • The Magnificent Seven - It's had mixed reviews, but I still like a good Western. Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke? Yes!
  • Queen of Katwe - Looks like a great story!
  • Deepwater Horizon - Tragedy and heroism + Marky Mark!
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Fantasy, powers, and kids.
  • The Accountant - Ben Affleck is a math savant who handles money for all sorts of miscreants. Plus guns.
  • Doctor Strange - Comic book mystic...looks like Inception meets adult Harry Potter!
  • Hacksaw Ridge - True story about a pacifist soldier who becomes a hero for saving the lives of the wounded.
  • Arrival - Sci-fi alien movie that looks more about the anticipation and social confusion of first contact than the actual contact. 

  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Continuation in the world of Harry Potter!
  • Passengers - Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, two of my favs, wake up early on a long mission to a new space colony...mysterious events ensue plus maybe a little romance? Fun!


What movies did YOU enjoy this past season and what are YOU looking forward to seeing?

Leave a comment. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment